Walking has so many health benefits. It's often said that if we could put all the health benefits people get from walking into a pill, then it would be a best-selling medicine!
Alleviates depression and anxiety
The endorphins which are released as you walk help you to feel better about yourself and this leads to a more positive outlook. Also, if you're walking in the beautiful countryside, the very act of being next to nature lifts your mood. Walking can be a social activity and recently studies have shown this increased social interaction actually helps people to live longer!
- Strengthens leg, hips and hamstring
- Promotes psychological well-being and reduces feelings of stress and depression
- Helps people achieve and maintain a healthy body weight
- Promotes better sleep
- Reduces tiredness and gives people more energy for everyday tasks
- Helps to reduce the risks of many serious health problems in old age
- Helps to reduce the risk and survival rate of developing colon and breast cancer
- Helps to reduce the risk of developing non-insulin-dependent (type 2) diabetes mellitus
- Helps to reduce the risks of developing osteoporosis
Helps to reduce the risk of developing coronary heart disease (CHD)
Helps to lower the risk of developing high blood pressure and helps to reduce blood pressure in people who already have hypertension
Helps to lower total blood cholesterol
- Helps to reduce the risk of stroke