- The ferry from Tresco Ferry Services usually drops people off at the quay at Crow Point, at the south tip of the island of Tresco – but sometimes due to tides, the drop off is at New Grimsby. Also, the pick-up can be at Crow Point too, so check with your skipper as you travel.
- From Crow Point, follow the path – which is called Carn Near Road – away from the quay.
- At the triangle of paths, stay on Carn Near Road until you reach Tresco Abbey Gardens on the left. Here’s a great stopping off point for a look around and some refreshments at the café.
- Afterwards, carry on along Carn Near Road, and the Abbey Pool will come into view on the right.
- After walking through an archway, you come to a junction. Turn right here, along Penzance Road.
- Shortly, the road turns to the left, with a path going straight on. Follow the path straight on and climb over the dunes to reach the beach.
- If the tide is out, you can turn left here walk along the lovely beach until you reach a rocky promontory, which is called Lizard’s Point. Find a way back onto the shore path before this.
- If the tide is in, or you don’t want to walk on the beach, double back on yourself after taking in the sight of the coast, and turn first right – and follow the path.
- The path turns left away from Lizard’s Point, and eventually reaches the Old Blockhouse on the hill.
- Walk around the far side of the hill for the easiest path up to the building to explore its insides.
- Once you are done, walk down the hill with the building behind you and follow the main path as it turns to the right, and then the left.
- Some buildings will be on the left, along with the Tresco playground.
- At the junction here, turn left and walk along the footpath which will bring you out near St Nicholas’s Church – which is well worth a look inside.
- Out of the church, turn left, and follow the road as it bends to the left, and eventually The New Inn will be on your right.
- Carry on and the harbour of New Grimsby will be straight ahead. Use your time before the next ferry to explore New Grimsby, before walking along the road of New Grimsby Quay to get to the far side of the harbour for your trip away from Tresco.
|3 miles (4.8km)|
|271 ft (82m) |
Level of difficulty
|Public footpaths and beach walking|
|Grid SV 89328 13343|
|Keep on leads|
|There's no cars on Tresco |
|Tresco Boat Services from |
|In New Grimsby|
Detailed information about the Old Blockhouse on this walk, from English Heritage.
Although access to the Old Blockhouse is free, the upkeep of our special heritage sites isn't - so becoming a member of English Heritage not only gives you free access to over 400 historic places, but also helps keep safe the Old Blockhouse.