Walks from Season Four - South Stack to North Stack
A walk from South Stack to North Stack - Walks Around Britain Shorts
|4½ miles (7.2 km)|
|1238 ft (377m) |
Level of difficulty
|Well-maintained paths and tracks|
|Grid SH 20828 82063|
|Keep on leads|
|RSPB Pay & Display Car Park |
|Bus - 22 from Holyhead, Summer Hill|
|Just up road from car park|
Share this walk
- Take the path signed for the RSPB centre, past Ellin's Tower, then climb along the path back to the road and follow it to its end.
- Here, a detour to visit South Stack Lighthouse is recommended, then climb right on a path passing a concrete shelter.
- This path turns right to go around the aerials and dishes.
- Continue to follow the path as it works its way over the north shoulder of Holyhead Mountain.
- Ignore the paths to the summit, and keep left on a good path heading north towards North Stack.
- After passing through a grassy walled enclosure the path descends in a zig-zag mannor down some steep slopes before coming to a rocky platform, where the Fog Signal Station and the island of North Stackcome into full view.
- Retrace your steps back up the zig-zags and towards Holyhead Mountain.
- Head towards the summit path and take a narrow path heading sharp left across the heath.
- The trek to the top of the mountain is an easy one.
- Once at the summit, bear right as the path comes to a wall. Follow the path downhill towards rough pastureland.
- Go down a grassy walled track before turning right along another one. This becomes a rough path through more heathland, now on the south-side of Holyhead Mountain.
- Near to the disused quarry, head right alongside the rocks of the Holyhead Mountain.
- Those aerials and dishes can be seen again in front. Follow the path towards them, and as the path leads between them, the road is front.
- Turn left along the road to the car park.
Print this page
If you enjoyed this walk,
you might like these...